Friday, March 13, 2009

happy birthday to my mother


my mother is 62 | my mother is an institution | she is a cross between kath day-night, nana mouskouri & queen mary [the person, not the ship ...]

after a year of having not spoken to each other I finally relented, mobile in hand and dialled ... curious how we remember our mothers telephone number ... including area code!
well, we picked up from the moment we last spoke to each other and both had lots of news to share about families, sibling [mine cover every possible 'demon'graphic in known to the australian bureau of statistics and more | you know the usual stuff ... who's rooting whom, when & where, nieces and nephews and associated good and bad behaviour, boyfriends, girlfriends, the weather, the bushfires [we lived through one once ... 'lived' being the key word here], marriage, birthdays, the price of vegetables and gin, and so on and so on ...

the sweetest thing about my mother, is that she never holds a grudge against me for my appalling lack of consistency in attention to her ..
perhaps that is the only benefit of being the oldest child ... it must be the only one ...

we do love one another unconditionally even though we operate at opposite ends of the spectrum in our approach to life ... happy birthday to you

No comments: